An introduction to polycarbonate sheets UK
Polycarbonate sheets are a clear plastic material that can be used as an alternative to glass. They are specifically sheets of thermoplastic that are tough, lightweight and impact resistant.
The manufacture of polycarbonate
Polycarbonate is manufactured by chemical reactions between bisphenol A and either carbonyl chloride or diphenyl carbonate. The polycarbonate is held in a basic solution which is later evaporated to form granules of the polymer.
Polycarbonate sheets for smoking shelters
All smoking and vaping shelters require glazing panels at the top of the shelter and around the sides. This is where clear Perspex polycarbonate sheets come in use and can provide any open fronted shelter a level of impact resistance from the elements as well as UV protection.
Other ways polycarbonate sheets can be used
There are many ways you can use this type of plastic sheet. Below are a few examples:
- Replacement glazing for displays, greenhouses or shed windows
- Any types of roofing
- For security, like bulletproof windows
- Machine guards in industrial engineering
- Any forms of electronics, such as smartphones and laptops
- Certain automotive parts like windscreens
The benefits of polycarbonate palram plastic sheet
There are several advantages of using polycarbonate sheets.
- They are known to be extremely impact resistant, making the sheets highly durable.
- They are very versatile which means you can use them for different purposes.
- You can fabricate these sheets, making it easy to cut and shape to your requirements.
- They are long lasting; therefore, you will not have to replace them as often.
- The polycarbonate is manufactured with a UV filter, providing protection from high UV rays so the sheets will not yellow when exposed to sunlight. For added peace of mind the sheets are guaranteed for 10 years.
- It is a very cost-effective solution, making the sheets more affordable than other materials.
- Being extremely durable and having a very high impact strength, it is known that polycarbonate is up to 200 times stronger than glass.
- It is lightweight, making the sheets easier to handle and install.
- There are a variety of different sizes and thicknesses available giving you a more flexibility of options to choose from.
A huge benefit of Polycarbonate sheets is that they can be fabricated to meet specific design requirements. This can be simply done by heating the sheets so that it is at the point of being easily bent and more flexible and then handled with female or male mould. Furthermore, fabricating polycarbonate sheets can create items like car headlight lens, goggle lens, helmet visors, windshields and much more.
Our polycarbonate sheets at Tamstar are high quality and manufactured by popular brands like Perspex, Palsun Palram and Marlon. Whether large or small, we are confident that we can offer the relevant product for your project.
If you would like to discuss your requirements in detail or require more product information, please feel free to contact us and one of our team members will be happy to help.